Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Crimson Fairy Book_364

drawn it from the pool that is full of frogs and willows; you must get me some more.鈥�So the woman set out again and walked still further to another lake.
鈥楾his water tastes of rushes,鈥�he exclaimed, 鈥榞o and get some fresh.鈥�But when she brought back a third supply he declared that it seemed made up of water-lilies, and that he must have water that was pure, and not spoilt by willows, or frogs, or rushes. So for the fourth time she put her jug on her head, and passing all the lakes she had hitherto tried, she came to another, where the water was golden like honey. She stooped down to drink, when a horrible head bobbed up on the surface.
鈥楬ow dare you steal my water?鈥�cried the head.
鈥業t is my husband who has sent me,鈥�she replied, trembling all over. 鈥楤ut do not kill me! You shall have my baby, if you will only let me go.鈥� 鈥楬ow am I to know which is your baby?鈥�asked the Ogre.
鈥極h, that is easily managed. I will shave both sides of his head, and hang some white beads round his neck. And when you come to the hut you

No comments:

Post a Comment